Daily Letters

A selection of letters received.

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

July 14, 2004

I wouldn't have picked you

Dear George:

I have never been an overly “political” person, I didn't come from a very political family. I served our great country in the U.S. Navy out of respect and out of the love I have for our great country. I actually registered to vote for the first time in my life 2 years ago! I wouldn't have picked you to be our president, nor would I have thought you could lead us to where we are today.

My blood isn't red, it's RED, WHITE, and BLUE! Our forefathers busted their hind ends to make this country, to build from nothing, to give freedom to those not only living here, but those that stretched a needy hand toward our shores. Our forefathers saw “what could be”, and each and every one of them strived, fought, bled, and died to achieve that goal.

I don't condone the killing of innocents, but at the same time....we CANNOT and will NOT condone the inhumane, animalistic, barbarian acts that a few crazy, idealistic fanatics have done against our people. By our people I mean, all those that believe in freedom! To me, it is not a question of white, black, Hispanic, Muslim, Catholic, Baptist.....it's a question of humanity.

I have never in my life, and hopefully never again, experienced the pain, sadness, and complete inability to change anything, as I did watching the horrific acts created on 9/11. I was hurt, scared, sad, and pissed all in the same breath. But, unlike some...you rose to the challenge, the challenge of bringing your country to its feet and off its knees in the tragedy that unfolded right before our country's eyes. I listened with hopeful heart, for the fight, the guts, the anger, and the will to continue what our forefathers started. You didn't disappoint me. You challenged those cowards to come forward and face the consequences of their actions, you challenged their countries, cities, and towns to hand over their fanatics...and when they didn't comply...you acted. When you back a injured dog into a corner.....prepare for the fight of your life.

I do have one complaint though...I thank GOD every day for our country, for our rights, and for our freedom....yes, I said God. The foundation that our forefathers built this nation around. You know, the one that can't be spoken in schools, or on our currency. The one that protected us through it all. What happened to that freedom? If an American can choose NOT to practice a religion, then WHY can't that same American choose TO practice a religion? All Americans should have the choice...without worrying about being shot in school, have their church burned down, without fear of what others will think or do.

For the first time in my life, I will vote this year....I'm a little nervous....but I know that the right man will be chosen, a man that can lead us to victory over terrorism, a man that can embrace a nation as his own long lost child, a man that can stand up and fight for what he believes in...

Nancy
Age 35
Versailles, KY

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

0 Comments:

Please do not use comments for personal attacks. One of the goals of this project is to allow these open letters to foster civil (and civic) debate, so please keep personal attacks to yourselves, even if you disagree with the letter/comments here. Better yet, write a letter yourself.

Post a Comment

<< Home


WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE
 



Listed on BlogShares