Daily Letters

A selection of letters received.

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

March 24, 2005

Dream into reality

Dear Mr. President,

I am 21 years old. My family and I have been in the United States for almost twenty years now and have yet to be granted our citizenship. For years, we have talked with lawyers about our situation and just recently we made a final attempt. This attempt was with my father's sister, my aunt, who is now a U.S Citizen and she petitioned for us to be granted residency. The lawyer on the case told us that it was approved and all but that it could take many years.

This is really frustrating not only for my family but for me. Mr. President I am a very hard working person and am currently attending the University of North Carolina at Charlotte majoring in Psychology and minoring in Chemistry. I could not afford to go to the college of my choice because of my legal status, which does not allow me to receive financial aid. My future plans or goals are to go to medical school in a year and a half and become a child psychiatrist, but that dream is going to be very difficult because medical school is so expensive and I know my family does not have that kind of money to pay for it.

I have 2 jobs right now to save up money and am a full-time junior. One of my jobs is as an Applied Behavior Analysis therapist and I enjoy it with all my heart because I get to make a difference in at least one five year old's life. I one day hope to make a difference in many childrens' lives and travel around the world to provide my service where it is mostly needed. This dream is further away each time I realize the immigration situation is becoming an even bigger issue. I know there are a million people in this with hopes of becoming U.S Citizens one day; but as one individual, I am asking you to help me turn my dream into reality.

Mr. President, I know you are a busy man a have so many things to worry about each day, but please take my petition into consideration. My whole family and I have been good law abiding citizens and both my two sisters and I have shown that we are interested having a career in this country that has given us so much and provides us with so many opportunities. All three of us have or are attending a university. You don't realize how thankful I am that my parents came to this country in search of a better future. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,

Dulce
Age 21
Statesville, North Carolina

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

0 Comments:

Please do not use comments for personal attacks. One of the goals of this project is to allow these open letters to foster civil (and civic) debate, so please keep personal attacks to yourselves, even if you disagree with the letter/comments here. Better yet, write a letter yourself.

Post a Comment

<< Home


WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE
 



Listed on BlogShares