Daily Letters

A selection of letters received.

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

September 10, 2004

Everyone who signs up for the military does so voluntarily

Dear Mr. President:

I want you to know that I support you and I am thankful that you are the President of our great country. You have the hardest job in the world and it disturbs me when I hear people bashing you. Could they fill your shoes? I am thankful that you stand up for what is right and just, you aren't afraid to express your beliefs and you have the guts to follow through with tough decisions, even against fierce opposition. I sleep better at night knowing that we have a commander-in-chief that cares the way you do.

I also appreciate the fine citizens of our country that have VOLUNTEERED their services in the armed forces to protect us. So many people accuse you of sending soldiers overseas to die, and what they forget is that everyone who signs up for the military does so VOLUNTARILY and with full knowledge that they may have to be somewhere like Iraq. A very talented young lady from our town just graduated from high school, and with all the options available to this beautiful, gifted girl, she chose to enter the Army. Her father is in the Army Reserves and is in Iraq now. The 15 year-old son wants to join when he is able. These are smart, talented, athletic people who are VOLUNTEERING for military duty - wherever it takes them. We need more people like that.

If I could ask you to fight for something else, it would be to get rid of the tax system we have now and implement a flat tax. I believe it's the only fair way to tax people. I am not rich, but I don't think it's right to punish those who have more. It's America. What ever happened to working hard and becoming prosperous? Why be punished for it? I'm afraid our society has become so self-indulgent and lazy that so many people have this twisted sense of entitlement and it's wrong.

There are far too many government programs out there and I get angry when reading about where my tax dollars go. I guess I'm mostly conservative with a bit of Libertarian in me, but regardless, I wanted you to know that I support you. It would be nice to expect one person to solve everything, but I know that isn't possible, so I just want to thank you for the job you are doing. I'm proud of you, Mr. President.

Mishelle
Age 36
Kearney, Nebraska

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

0 Comments:

Please do not use comments for personal attacks. One of the goals of this project is to allow these open letters to foster civil (and civic) debate, so please keep personal attacks to yourselves, even if you disagree with the letter/comments here. Better yet, write a letter yourself.

Post a Comment

<< Home


WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE
 



Listed on BlogShares