Daily Letters

A selection of letters received.

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

August 25, 2004

I saw you standing on those ruins

Dear George:

I'm an American who lives in Prague, a city that was once behind the Iron Curtain. When I meet someone for the first time, they invariably tell me they love the United States, yet despise you and the war you have chosen. With all due respect for one with so much blood on his hands, I must agree.

I witnessed the collapse of the World Trade Center in a deserted bar along with two Canadian friends and we pondered the future over whiskey. Later, I saw you standing on those ruins, a mass grave with bodies not yet buried, waving a tiny plastic flag and blustering like a TV evangelist. I wanted to put my hand on the screen and be healed, but it came back stained with he blood of innocents.

The righteous fury and grief from the attacks were used to mask a war of empire in Iraq that has cost hundreds of American and thousands of Iraqi lives, all equal in death. And still you lie. I'm not a Christian, but I think I know your God better than you, Mr. President, and when you pass from this world I think He will not abide the sight of you, war criminal.

Sincerely,

Jonathan
Age 32
Prague, Czech Republic
(Hometown: Buckner, MO)

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

0 Comments:

Please do not use comments for personal attacks. One of the goals of this project is to allow these open letters to foster civil (and civic) debate, so please keep personal attacks to yourselves, even if you disagree with the letter/comments here. Better yet, write a letter yourself.

Post a Comment

<< Home


WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE
 



Listed on BlogShares