Daily Letters

A selection of letters received.

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

June 30, 2005

War in Iraq is necessary

Dear Mr. President:

I am writing to tell you how much I support your efforts in Iraq and the "War on Terror". Honestly, during your first term, I did not support you or the war, but as I did some research I realized that the war in Iraq is necessary, wmd's or not.

Many people are avidly against the war, saying it's costing all our soldiers lives, we're slaughtering innocent Iraqis, blah blah blah... you get the idea. In my mind, this comes from a simple lack of information, stupidity, or "doctoring", which I will explain later.

I know many soldiers, some of which just returned from Iraq, one with a bronze star. I know that war has an effect on people, and I have been looking for different videos of the warfare in Iraq, trying to understand what these men and women have been through
.
Some of these videos that I found were doctored by biased sources, so that they would look like a war crime or something of the sort. One was a night-vision view from a helicopter, killing several supposedly innocent Iraqis. Being as objective in my research as I can be, I looked for other copies of this video, and sure enough, in the uncut version you see that the Iraqis were moving weapons! Naturally, this piqued my interest and I began searching for other videos, eventually finding one video that will remain in my mind forever.

It was a compilation put together by either a terrorist, or someone who sympathizes with the insurgents. It was mostly of Arabic videos of the insurgents attacking American soldiers, but what was most disturbing was the footage of how dead soldiers were treated as trophies: severed arms were held up with pride, burned bodies were dragged behind cars and strung up from bridges, a soldier's armor was held up with a shout.

Much of this video was also of executions. I had to fast forward through most of it. It showed the so-called "innocent Iraqis" that we're fighting sawing the heads off of several different people, mostly Americans. In every case the head was held up like a prize.

The people protesting this war need to realize that it is a war IN Iraq, not a war WITH Iraq. We are not killing the Iraqi people, we are liberating them from the monsters that tie them up and brutally murder them. Who cares about weapons of mass destruction. We had to be in the country to know they weren't there anyway! We have a much higher calling in Iraq now; we aren't simply defending ourselves, we are saving a people. What higher calling is there?
In reference to your faith and the war, it is often quoted "Thou shalt not kill" and "love thy neighbor". Immediately following the quote is "how can you be doing that in Iraq?" Quoting "Thou shalt not kill" is obviously from a lack of any real spiritual or theological background, but as for "love thy neighbor", I think you are carrying that out by helping set the Iraqi people free from these monsters. God bless you.

Timothy
Age 19
Salisbury, NC

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

0 Comments:

Please do not use comments for personal attacks. One of the goals of this project is to allow these open letters to foster civil (and civic) debate, so please keep personal attacks to yourselves, even if you disagree with the letter/comments here. Better yet, write a letter yourself.

Post a Comment

<< Home


WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE
 



Listed on BlogShares