Daily Letters

A selection of letters received.

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

June 09, 2005

Drivel of the times

Dear Mr. President (as the holder of the highest office in the Nation ought to be addressed),

I voted for you in 2000 because I could not fathom, even at age 22, another four years of Clintonian rule. I voted for you in 2004 for a lot of reasons: believing in the cause for the War on Terror (wherever it takes us, it takes balls to fight it), believing that you had a decent plan to change Social Security for the better, and a great part of the vote was because I am from Massachusetts, and I know John Kerry's role in my state, and I couldn't fathom then, at age 26, how anyone could have an educated view of Kerry, and still appoint him to your office.

Mr. President, (you'll notice I'm still calling you that),
I believe you are a good man. I believe you have very good ideas on a variety of subjects, and I believe there are too many people in this country who will not give you a fair shake, still, because of your father, or because of your party, or because they are misinformed.

I don't like your immigration policy. I think it is soft, and weak. I can't figure out how we can fight a war against a silent enemy, if we allow people to come and go as they please across our sizeable border. Amnesty is no solution, and your plan, no matter how you slice it, amounts to amnesty.

Your Social Security plan, Mr President (yet again), started out strong. I watched you lay it out live on TV. But there was one matter that fouls the whole thing up: too much choice. I understand that dumping the seventy year old system that has helped so many, yet has gone sour, is a hard sell...especially in this political climate...but tough shit to those who cannot accept that the old method just doesn't work anymore. I understand that a new system, either yours, or anyone else's, must be phased in. But giving people a choice between something familiar to them, no matter the faults, and something new and frightening to some people, well, sir, it is irresponsible. It is ludicrous. I'll refer you to the amount of people who voted for John Kerry, and against you: you can't always count on the American public, as a whole, to do the right thing.

You'd have done better for yourself had you just said: “Here's the new Social Security Plan, where you can invest a portion of what the government takes out of your paycheck each week, instead of throwing it to the lions on capitol hill. Over the next ten years, the lions' share (get it) will gradually return to your hands, America, and you will have more control over your own future. Say goodbye to the old way, and welcome the brighter future.”

On the topic of stem cell research, please back off. I understand that you are a morally strong man, a Christian man, someone who understands the importance, and the “sanctity” of life. Please don't get in the way of finding a potential cure for genetic illnesses. There should be limitations, yes, but please find the line between vulgar destruction of true life, and scientific work with human cells. This is not vague, Mr. President.

I must let you know that there are many of us who still believe this war on terror is just that, and that you have sent the troops on a noble fight, no matter what the opposition says. Along with that, don't pay attention to the bullshit from the media about Guantanamo. We're talking about imprisoned people from whose belief structure lies with the same people who don't mind showing beheadings on television, but cannot handle even a falsehood about a book, and how it was handled. Fight on.

I hope that I have come off as “holier than thou” to most who have read this, because I believe I am. I haven't taken the side of the right, or the left, or the Republicans or the Democrats, or the conservatives or the liberals. Most of this country spends its time polarized. I choose to fall in the middle. I choose to believe in what is right.

Mr. President (there it is again, some respect),

It is easy for me, and anyone else who has written a letter for this, to be critical of the man in your position. You'll notice how critical I have been. But we are talking about a few matters, be they great or small in the context of history, and not looking at the whole. It may not be the appropriate time to reflect on your presidency so far, but appropriate or not, on the whole, you've done a hell of a job with the cards you were dealt.

I thank you, for myself, and all of those whose voices may not be heard amidst the drivel of the times.

Kevin P. Michaud
Age 27
Worcester, Massachusetts

WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE

0 Comments:

Please do not use comments for personal attacks. One of the goals of this project is to allow these open letters to foster civil (and civic) debate, so please keep personal attacks to yourselves, even if you disagree with the letter/comments here. Better yet, write a letter yourself.

Post a Comment

<< Home


WRITE YOUR LETTER - CLICK HERE
 



Listed on BlogShares